FAQs - AEMC Consultants

Step 1: Attend a counseling session

Attend a counselling session at our office to find out your options relating to your study destination, courses available and recommended institutions.

Step 2: Apply for admission

Once you have decided what and where you want to study, we will help you complete the application to the colleges and universities of your choice. At the time of application for admission, you will be required to submit several documents including proof of previous academic qualifications and in most cases proof of your English language ability. We will also provide you with a checklist for the documents you will need to provide when the time comes to apply for your visa (step 6).

We take the hard work out of tracking the applications by keeping in contact with the university on your behalf.

Step 3: Offer Letter

Receive the offer letter from the College/University

Step 4: Pay Tuition Fees
To accept your offer from an education provider, you must pay the tuition fee. Most Australian institutions require you to pay the first semester fee prior to the application of your visa, along with the payments for your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and in some occasions, university or college amenity fees. You can choose to pay this fee through either Telegraphic Transfer (TT) or credit card payments.

Once the institutions have received and processed your fee payment, they will issue an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (ECoE) to you. Once we have received this, we will notify you that it is now time to come back to our office with your required documents and start the visa application process.

Step 5: Undertake Medicals
You will need to undertake a medical with one of the doctors in Sri Lanka who is approved by the Australian Government. Once you have undertaken the medical examination, your doctor will forward the medical reports and documents directly to the visa office.

Step 6: Visa Lodgment
In order to lodge your visa application you will need to provide the documents outlined in the checklist we provided you in step 2.
Just like your admission application, AEMC will keep you updated regarding the progress of your application and take the hard work out of tracking your application by keeping in contact with the visa office on your behalf.

Step 7: Visa Outcome
We will notify you as soon as we know of the outcome of your visa application so you can come in and collect your grant letter. In most cases this is a positive response and it means you can also start planning your travelling to and accommodation in Australia!

While on a student visa, students can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when the course is in session and unlimited hours during vacations. International students studying Master’s degree by research or PhD qualifications can work unlimited hours.

The spouse of a student can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight throughout the year if the spouse has travelled to Australia on a dependent visa. If the student is studying at a Masters or PhD level, the spouse can work full-time once the student starts their main course.

University:- Australian universities are an obvious choice for those wanting a career in a regulated profession such as law, nursing, dentistry, medicine, architecture or engineering, but this covers only a very small proportion of all the fields that can be studied at a university. Universities also offer a wide range of degrees in general areas (such as science, health science, business and arts) and more specialised degrees such as journalism, environmental studies or psychology. They offer the highest level of qualification available.


TAFE institutes:-Technical and Further Education (TAFE) Institutes offer practically oriented Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses at certificate and diploma levels that focus on preparing students for vocational or paraprofessional careers (such as careers in the hospitality industry, childcare or design). They are government owned and they provide courses designed to give students the skills expected by employers (with work experience and training using industry-standard equipment incorporated into most courses), so you will graduate ready for employment.

Private colleges:- In addition to universities, there is a large number of private colleges in Australia. They may offer higher education courses (including undergraduate degrees and/or postgraduate degrees), VET courses or a combination of both. All private providers are subject to extensive regulation and should be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Yes, it can be through poor attendance or performance in class or if you undertake a criminal activity in Australia.

Make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor at your institute as soon as possible.

If you do not renew your visa, your university is obligated to report your case to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for noncompliance with the rules of your student visa, and you may be asked to show cause why you should not be asked to leave Australia immediately. It is expected that students would make an application for a visa extension at least six to eight weeks prior to their current visa expiry date.